Be still & know that I am God...Psalm 46:10

Friday, November 5, 2010

ok, soooooooo.............

.......we won't be doing that again anytime soon.  atleast not in this lifetime.  if anybody ever offers to shove wires up your groin and into your heart with the intentions of burning your precious cardiac muscle while you are awake, all i can say is....RUN!  fast! and don't look back.  lol! apparently (according to the crna) "most" people don't ever feel anything during the procedure.  there are a "few" that will feel a little discomfort.  and then there are the "rare few" that will actually feel pain.  geeeee...guess what category i fell into.  OMG...it was horrible. i will NEVER voluntarily do that again.  i'd have a panic attack before they ever had the chance to start.  let me explain how it went.  apparently i have or had a "stubborn" arrhythmia. it's been with me for so long i guess it just didn't want to give up w/o a fight.   i was in the or for almost 3 hours.  first i want to say that everybody at high point regional hospital was wonderful!  the dr....he was ok.  he did manage to say hello to me before he started jammin needles in my groin....without warning.  it would've been nice to have a little heads up.  but i just smiled figuring it was lidocaine and the area would be numb soon.  opppsssss....don't forget the other side.  jam...jam..jam....for the sake of space i'll stop @ 3.  was more like 10 or 15 but who's counting~*smile*~ they had talked about goin thru my neck so i was just thrilled that they decided to stay @ my groin.  so then he makes the incision and starts ramming the wires up to my heart.  at first i thought well this won't be too bad.  i could feel them just a little.  then i could feel them more.  i don't think it took them much to get my heart "irritated" because all i could feel was this enormous pressure....sorta like the proverbial elephant sitting on your chest.  thought this must be what it was like to have a heart attack.  i just laid there and cried.  never said a word until the nurse anesthetist asked if i was ok.  with crocodile tears running down my face, all i could say was...it hurts.  one time it actually felt like they were jammin the wires up my neck on the right side.  oh and the best part was the "diaphragmatic spasms" which felt like somebody was literally inside me kicking the right side of my chest with a combat boot.  you could actually see my chest wall moving under my gown.  i did speak up between kicks when i had enough breath and asked if that was normal.  then to add insult to injury when they finally felt like they had all the wires where they wanted them they gave me some med that they titrated until my heart rate was over 180.  that was  pleasant but still not as bad as the spasms.  so after that they "burned" whatever area it was that they felt was causing the arrhythmia but i guess my little svt wasn't given up that easy.  they had to come back and manipulate the wires more.  which of course brought more tears.  when they finally thought they were in the "right" place they gave me some versed.  precious sweet versed.  but i never did fall asleep.  everytime i would start to doze they would move the wires or zap me or something and i would feel this excruitiating pain again.  finally after almost 3 hours they were done.  thank you jesus.  they were jokin with me....said now i could go birth some babies.  now that i think about it they probably meant i could go back to work but i thought they meant I could go have a baby.  i told them....HECK (might've used another word) i'd rather go birth a baby than do this again....matter of fact i don't think i'll ever be doin either again!!!!!  atleast after you have a baby you have something to show for all your suffering.  so now i guess i just wait & see.  i was a little nervous the first couple days bc i was feeling little skipped beats.  i thought....ohhhhh, if i've gone thru all this for nothing!!! but so far i haven't had anything today.  it's funny bc i've learned to bend a certain way with my svt.  i could get it started by bending over so i've learned to bend at the knees instead.  i still find my self being careful how i bend so that i don't get it started.  so anywayssss...i guess i just wait and pray.  will it have all been worth it if it works???  yeah, now that i'm on the other end of it.  could anyone ever talk me into doing it again??? ummmmm....NO!  not in a million years........

before i go i want to give a big KUDOS to our girls at RH.  apparently our customers must be a little too picky.  one of our lowest scoring areas on our survey is always response time to call lights.  well let me tell ya....we have to have hprh beat by a mile on response time.  that was my one and only complaint.  i think i hit the call light three times while i was there and the fastest time they answered was around 5 mins....the longest was over 10 mins.  and that was literally just to answer.  atleast we answer right away.  we may not get to the room in 10 seconds flat but we atleast answer on the second or third ring.  so i just want to tell you girls that you rock!  you ARE doing a wonderful job no matter what anybody tries to say!!!!

4 comments:

  1. SUE! I think I could cry reading this! I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain! I have really been thinking about you and wondering if you were doing ok. I know you need your rest so take it easy!! Bless your heart..if my little ole heart gets that bad, I know not to did that! Hopefully that is the worst part and it's all over. Please let me know if you need anything or if you need somebody to keep you up at night! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes me want to cry too megan!!! lol. like i said...i will NEVER voluntarily do it again. i hate to be so negative about it too bc they said most ppl do really well with it and never feel a thing. so i would hate to discourage someone from having it done if it would help them. for me personally though...i have no doubt that it's not for me. my mom tried using the old....every pregnancy is different...every ablation is different. i'm not falling for it!!! lol had some more palpitations today. that was real discouraging. me and my mom are trying to over analyze and make excuses for my heart....oh it's trying to recover...oh it's the cold air that's making it act up. idk. just say a little prayer for me and my crazy heart. and....ummmmm....no i don't need anybody to keep me up at night!!!! lol. thanks for offering though....you are a true friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that you had to go through the torture Sue! I suffered like H-E- double hockey sticks after by wls and I feel your pain! I can't imagine why the versed din't make you forget a lot of what happened! Either way, I am glad that you are alive and better now than before. Take care of yourself and let us know if you need help of any sort! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bet you did have alot of pain afterwards. atleast i can say that once the procedure was over i didn't hurt anymore. i was sore in my groin where they made the incisions but it wasn't bad. they still throb every once in awhile but it's ok. i was more tired than anything afterwards. anywaysssss...think the versed didn't make me forget bc they didn't give me much. if they give you too much, they said it would get rid of the arrhythmia. so i guess they just give you enough to try to relax you. when i had my last d&c the anesthesiologist (won't name him) didn't give me enough versed either. i kept asking everybody why i knew what was goin on. i heard the suction. saw my feet up in the chains....OMG!!!! showed the anesthesiologist how to give my rhogam shot. he kept saying...oh you won't remember this. ha! asked dr b. about it afterwards and she said he tended to go a little light on his versed and she generally didn't like her pt's talking to her when she was doing surgery on them. lol. oh well........

    ReplyDelete